Curly hair is a blessing with a curse. The thick, lustrous mane may look alluring and exotic; but curly hair care is one of the most difficult regimes to maintain. To get with curly hairstyles, you need to know the proper DIY Curly Girl Method for beginners and use naturally curly girl hair products. With the method and products, your manes will look and feel better than ever. We got you sorted with the right method and products.
What is the Curly Girl Method for Beginners?
Renowned hairstylist and curl expert Lorraine Massey in her book “Curly Girl: The Handbook” propounds the Curly Girl Method (in short, CGM) to get more defined, healthier fuller hair. This method basically tells you to do away with silicone, sulfate, and other chemical-based hair products, hair treatments, and damaging habits. It’s the perfect method for 2a- 4a hair textures to accentuate your natural wave, curl or coil pattern while avoiding dryness, breakage, and frizz.
Types of curls hair and textures
Generally, hair is grouped into four categories: Straight, wavy, curly, and coily. Let’s identify hair types one by one:
Type 2 curls:
It incorporates natural waves, and often women mistake it for curly hair. It is of 3 types:
- 2A – this one is easier to maintain and requires very little styling; use shampoo and conditioner that will give your hair a bit of volume.
- 2B – It is a bouncy type of curly hairstyle, requiring gentle shampoo and conditioner to maintain them.
- 2C – It is identified by small to medium letter S size waves as they grow. They are extremely prone to frizz and tangling.
Type 3 curls:
This type of hair curls into corkscrew and spring shapes. When wet, the hair looks like waves but takes a 3D shape as it dries. Type 3 hair is of 3 types:
- 3A – The easiest type of curls to maintain, the curls are larger in diameter, roll down from the crown; requires only hair creams to maintain them
- 3B – This type of curl is full of volume with medium corkscrew-like springs, prone to breakage and frizz.
- 3C – this type has more tightly-packed curls. It’s important to comb them tip to root and use hair gels to control frizz.
Type C curls:
This type either has a zigzag or tightly wound s-shape pattern. This type of hair shrinks when it dries. It is also of 3 types:
- 4A – The strands of this type of hair are tightly ringed loops. The curly hair care for this type is to use a haircare range with moisturizing agents in them.
- 4B – This type constitutes zigzag and S-shape coils. His hair type can tolerate from gentle to rich hair curly girl method products.
- 4C – The most difficult to maintain, comes with a tightly ringed zigzag shape almost indiscernible to naked eyes.
How to start the curly girl method?
Here is a guide for beginners explaining the curly girl method step by step.
- Step 1: Do a final hair wash with a sulfate-based shampoo to get rid of the dirt and silicone build-up. As sulfate is a strong cleaning agent, use a deep-conditioning hair mask afterwards.
- Step 2: Detangle your hair when in the shower with the wide-toothed Denman brush when hair is loaded with conditioner. You can also use castor oil on your hair the night before for easy slip.
- Step 5: Use the co-wash method instead of regular shampoo for your hair. Co-washing is to use conditioner or formulated hair creams devoid of sulfate or paraben, which take away the natural oils of your scalp making it drier.
- Step 6: After co-washing, use a deep conditioning hair mask for your hair to nourish and hydrate the scalp and hair strands.
- Step 7: Wash your hair with cold water to close hair cuticles, squeeze the water out of hair and use leave-in hair conditioner and scrunch your curls well. You can use styling gel, mousse, pomade once or twice a week after this. On non-washing days, make a concoction of water and a leave-in conditioner and spray it onto your curl to revamp them.
- Step 8: Plopp your hair to squeeze out excess water to avoid frizz, and define curls. You can also air-dry hair or use a hair-dryer in a cold setting.
The Don’ts of CGM
- Stop with your regular shampoos.
- Do away with silicone-based products as they can only be removed with hard sulfate shampoos which is a big NO in CGM.
- Bid goodbye to aerosol sprays, alcohol-filled dry shampoo, and hairsprays.
- Plopp your hair and throw away your harsh towels for drying hair.
- Stop with wax and mineral-based products as well.
What to expect when using CGM?
- Oily hair: When you are starting with CGM, your scalp needs time to adjust the sebum production to get back the balance.
- Frizzy hair: Your hair is finally breathing without those heat styling and silicone products. Give the method a few weeks to battle the frizz.
- Mushy hair: If your hair is finer in texture, it can get mushy with overloaded conditioners. Just cleanse your hair and condition them with sulfate-free products and don’t use deep conditioners often.
Frizzy hair is curly hair waiting to be done right. With the curly girl method, you can set your hair on a healthy journey and enjoy curly hairstyles like never before. NaturallyCurly.ca, a beauty salon in Dundas ON, provides various DevaCurl Curly Hair Products, Original Moxie, Curly Hair Books for various curly hair types for you to choose from.
Visit their website for various naturally curly hair products today and GET 30% OFF WITH CODE BF30 (Black Friday Deal limited time offer). Curly hair is just not hair, it’s an attitude. For the proper curly girl method, you need the right wavy hair products to do your curly hairstyle justice. Buy naturally curly hair care products for the best hair care and results. Happy Curly Styling!!